Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Good-bye June-ary, Hello July!

Spent my afternoon class at the ropes course on UBC. Thank you, BEd summer semester.

It's finally summer in Vancouver! Sunny and Hot, Hot, Hot! On that note...it's time to complain about it.
 "I hate track work-outs." -Alan Yu    
  Amen brother.
They are so hard in the sun and heat.
Today at the track our plan was to do 16X800  8X800. (Nice try, Ken.)
This then turned into 6X800.
I recently read on this track pacing chart that in order to break 42:00 minutes for the Summerfast 10km, I need to be running 2:50 800's during track work-outs.
I did that for one. Shameful. My lungs felt like they were burning!
1. 2:51
2. 3:11 (?!)
3. 1:25 (switched to a 400m)
4. 3:00
5: 3:03
6.2:57
Plus a 5km warm-up and 1mile cool-down.

Tips for running in the heat:
-Go early in the morning or late at night. (I don't buy this because sometimes that doesn't fit into the schedule)
-Drink lots of water!
-Wear little clothing.
-Run in the shade.
-Run shorter distances. (Hmm hard when marathon training?)
-Adjust your pace.  (This makes me feel better!)
-You will get used to it. Your body will adjust. (Here's hoping)
-Run through sprinklers! (We did that after the track and it was awesome!)

No comments:

Post a Comment